Rutgers logo
University Finance and Administration
  • Home
  • Risk Management | Rutgers University Finance and Administration

Insurance Types Available to Students

Accordion Content

  • Rutgers University requires full time and all F&J Rutgers-sponsored visa students to waive or enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) each semester before the deadline. Please visit University Health Plans  to waive or enroll, view the waiver and enrollment steps, instructions, rates, deadline dates, summary of benefits and “after deadline” waiver and enrollment procedures. 

    Click here for more information about Rutgers' medical, dental, and vision insurance.

  • Rutgers University has partnered with GradGuard to make the Tuition Protection Insurance Plan available to students and families. The plan helps students and their families overcome the financial losses that may result from events that force students to withdraw from the semester due to a covered medical reason. Learn more about the tuition protection payment plan. Students can now enroll in GradGuard Tuition Insurance Plans in Nelnet QuickPay! Click here for enrollment instructions. RBHS students must enroll directly via GradGuard. Tuition insurance can be purchased via e-check and credit or debit card.

  • Since accessing medical and emergency assistance can be difficult and expensive while traveling abroad, Rutgers requires all students traveling internationally to purchase international medical insurance. Learn more about international medical insurance and other travel assistance services for enrolled students traveling abroad. 

  • Rutgers graduate students, faculty, or staff living in rented housing can purchase a housing/renter homeowner policy through insurance broker Assurant.   

    The housing/renter policy 

    • protects your personal property; 

    • provides additional living expenses if you are forced from your apartment; and 

    • affords comprehensive personal liability protection in case of injury to others. 

    For more information on housing/renter coverage, visit Assurant's website.

  • The university is not responsible for loss of or damage to students’ or visitors’ personal property. For this reason, it is wise to consider purchasing personal property insurance if a student's personal belongings are not covered under their homeowner's or tenant's policy. 

    Harleysville Insurance Companies provides a policy designed specifically for students through Haylor, Freyer & Coon, Inc. To view a detailed brochure, policy coverage details, and premium rates, simply visit Haylor, Freyer & Coon's website. Coverage is offered with limits ranging from $2,000 to $20,000 and deductibles of $50 or $100.