Rutgers logo
University Finance and Administration

Third Party/Sponsored Billing


Rutgers students can be funded directly by a third party that covers all or some of the costs of attendance, otherwise known as a “sponsor.” Sponsors may include 

  • employers;  

  • educational institutions;  

  • government agencies;  

  • foundations; and 

  • institutional sources.  

Students are responsible for reviewing all sponsorship agreements at the beginning of each semester. If there are changes to your sponsorship arrangement or new information that our office should be aware of, please notify us immediately. Our office will send all relevant invoices directly to your sponsor. Save and print a copy for record keeping. The copy will be available on the confirmation page of the submitted form. 

Employer Reimbursement  

Student ABC does not handle reimbursement matters for students who pay their own term bills and are then reimbursed by their employers. If you are a student who has arranged to be reimbursed by your employer pending submission of grades or the completion of sponsor terms, you are responsible for adhering to all university payment due dates.  

Third-Party/Sponsored Billing Pathway to Completion 

When making a third-party request, sponsored Rutgers Health, Rutgers University–Camden, Rutgers University–Newark, and Rutgers University–New Brunswick students should submit the Third Party/Sponsored Billing Agreement Form.  

Students from all Rutgers campuses filing a third-party request will also need to take the below actions: 

Acquire a sponsorship letter from the third party covering the term bill and attach it to the online form. The letter must include the following:  

  • The third party's official letterhead 

  • The student name and RUID number 

  • The educational costs the sponsor will cover 

  • The sponsorship terms 

  • The billing address to be used on the invoice 

  • A valid sponsor name, address, phone number, and email address 

External Awards

Students, if you receive financial awards from individuals or groups unaffiliated with the university to be credited to your term bill, forward the payment checks to Student ABC. Mail the payment and term bill to:

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey  
Term Bill Processing Unit  
P.O. Box 2021  
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2021  

In most situations, the funds will be automatically credited to your account, but in some cases, you may be required to endorse a check. Please note that awarded funds might not be visible on the initial term bill statement for the semester; however, you can deduct the amount of the award from the amount due.  

We’re here to help. If you need any other information or still have questions, please contact us

What Happens Next?

  • After the sponsorship letter and Third Party Billing Agreement have been submitted, Student ABC will directly invoice the sponsor.  

    Most sponsors will receive the invoice after the conclusion of the semester’s add/drop period to ensure that the invoice reflects the accurate billing amount.

  • Sponsors are expected to make payment directly to Student ABC in U.S. currency within 45 business days of invoice receipt. Payment can be made by wire transfer* or U.S. mail** in the form of personal check, money order, or cashier check.  

    *Indicate the student's name and nine-digit RUID number in the detail field. When making a payment, note that the bank may charge a wire transmittal fee. For further instructions on submitting wire transfers, please email us

    **Please indicate the student's name, telephone number, and RUID number on the front of the check.  

    Mail the payment and term bill to:  

    Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey  
    Term Bill Processing Unit  
    P.O. Box 2021  
    New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2021  

  • Students, review the charges billed to your sponsor as well as the payments made by your sponsor. Account balances that are not paid in full by the specified due date are your responsibility. This includes all costs that the university incurs when attempting to collect past due balances such as collections costs, litigation/attorney's fees, and court costs.