Rutgers logo
University Finance and Administration

International Refunds

International students, if you are eligible for a refund, complete this form to specify which refund option you prefer. The three options are outlined below. 

Direct Deposit

We highly recommend you set up direct deposit to receive your funds faster and more securely if you have a valid U.S. bank account. If you already enabled direct deposit, please verify that your U.S. bank account is still active.   


Online payments processed through Flywire can be refunded to the original account. Please note that Flywire may charge a  0.5 percent refund processing fee.   

Due to the unprecedented nature of sanctions imposed against Russian financial institutions, Flywire cannot process refunds to a Russian bank account or credit card at this time. The sanctions render it impossible for global financial institutions and card acquirers to ensure that funds can be processed successfully, essentially shutting down this corridor to their global customers.

Online Term Bill Credit Transfer  

A credit balance transfer can be made to the next semester’s term bill for returning students currently living abroad. This will appear on the term bill as a credit payment. 

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You will receive an email indicating when your refund is available. If you signed up for direct deposit, your refund will be deposited to your bank account within 3-5 business days. If you are not signed up for direct deposit, then a paper check will be mailed to the student address on file.  

  • We encourage students to sign up for direct deposit to receive their refunds in a fast, easy, and secure fashion.

  • No. You need to set up direct deposit specifically for your student refunds. 

  • If you processed payment online through Flywire, we can refund the original payor’s account directly. Please note that Flywire may charge a 0.5 percent refund processing fee. Please immediately email us at if you prefer this refund option. Include your nine-digit RUID in your email. 

  • All paper check refunds are mailed to the student address on file. If you just moved, please update your address and contact our office. We would need to cancel the original check and reissue you another one. 

  • View and verify your refund amount on the Online Term Bill (OTB)