Rutgers logo
University Finance and Administration

1098-T Form 


Under the provision of the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1999, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is required to report certain information about your status as a student to the IRS. This information is provided on the 1098-T, Tuition Statement form.  

1098-T tax forms will be made available no later than January 31st of each year. Students will be notified by email when the 1098-T tax form becomes available online for download.

Click here to download your 1098-T Tuition Payments Statement form. 

Rutgers also provides student account information to help you to file your federal tax returns and to apply for education tax benefits. Learn how tax credits, deductions, and savings plans can help students with their expenses for higher education. Visit the IRS Tax Benefits for Education Information Center for more information.

RBHS Students

1. Log on to your myRutgers dashboard with your net ID and password.

2. Click the 'Banner Self Service' tile.

3. Select 'Student Records'.

4. Then, select 'Tax Notification' and type the tax year you wish to view, and hit submit.

Information Reported on the 1098-T Form 

  • Box 1: Total amount of qualified tuition and fees payments received. 

  • Box 2: No longer in use per 2018 IRS requirements; leave blank. 

  • Box 3: Shows that the university changed its reporting methods for tax year 2018. 

  • Box 4: Adjustments made for the prior year. 

  • Box 5: Total amount of all scholarships/grants received. 

  • Box 6: Adjustments made to scholarships/grants for the prior year. 

  • Box 8: Enrollment status (full-time or half-time). 

  • Box 9: Graduate student status.

W-9s Form

Students who are missing or have an incorrect social security number (SSN) on file must complete and submit a W-9s form.

  • Rutgers Legacy Students can update their SSN using this form.
  • Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) Students can update their SSN using this form.
  • Employees must contact University Human Resources (UHR) to update their SSN.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • The 1098-T form is used by eligible educational institutions to report information about their students to the IRS as required by the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997. Eligible educational institutions are required to submit the student's name, address, taxpayer's identification number (TIN), enrollment status, amounts pertaining to qualified tuition and related expenses, and scholarships and/or grants, taxable or not. A 1098-T form must be provided to each applicable student. 

  • If a student's qualified tuition and related expenses are paid entirely through scholarships and/or grant aid or waived, Rutgers is not required to file a 1098-T form with the IRS. Instead, the university provides a tuition summary for the calendar year. Housing and meal plans are not considered qualified expenses. Students can view and download the 1098-T form on the Tax Statement website

  • Contact us to receive your 1098-T. 

  • Students who are unable to obtain their 1098-T electronically can have a paper statement sent to them. Students mustcontact us (do not include your Social Security number [SSN]). A paper statement will be mailed to the address on record. Please include your updated mailing address when you contact us if you have recently moved. 

  • Rutgers University Student Accounting Office 
    Dr. Samuel DeWitt Proctor Hall
    65 Davidson Rd, Room 205
    Piscataway, NJ 08854

  • Contact us. In this instance, you will also be required to provide a W-9S form.

  • No. The address is irrelevant for IRS income tax filing purposes. However, you should update your address by contacting the Registrar’s Office

  • No. The CARES aid grants are qualified disaster relief payments and are not included in students' gross income. Therefore, students cannot claim any deduction for expenses paid with grants, including the tuition and fees deduction. 

  • Rutgers University must include its name, address, and information contact telephone number on the 1098T. Rutgers University cannot provide explanations of the requirements for (and how to figure) any education credit that you may claim, please contact a tax professional or the IRS directly.