Rutgers logo
University Finance and Administration
  • Home
  • Risk Management | Rutgers University Finance and Administration

International Travel

Before you finalize study, research, or other university-related international travel, it is important that you are aware of any health, safety, and security concerns in the region you plan to visit. 

To prepare for international travel, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, asks that you: 

  • Register your international travel using the form below.

Accordion Content

  • Before any faculty, staff, or students travel internationally for a university-associated matter, they must first register their trip on the International Travel Registration Site via the International Travel Registration Form. This form provides us with the information we will need to locate you and deliver resources to you in the event of an international emergency.  

    Travelers are encouraged to provide as much information as possible. The more information you provide, the better we’ll be able to help you when and if needed.  

    Please direct your completed forms and questions about the travel registration process to Matt Spaventa (; 848-932-3008).  

    Registration is not required for personal or domestic travel.  

  • Accessing medical and emergency assistance when traveling abroad can be difficult and expensive. For this reason, Risk Management recommends that all faculty and staff obtain international medical insurance.  

    Once you have completed the International Travel Registration Form, you will be automatically enrolled in the International Medical Insurance Program. Completed forms should be emailed to Matt Spaventa.

    All international emergency medical services, including medical access abroad, will be provided through On Call International, affording a single point of contact for all health and safety issues. 

  • The International Medical Insurance Program

    • covers injury or illness up to $200,000; 

    • has a $0 deductible for each injury or illness claimed; and 

    • allows for a cashless transaction if an approved provider is used; but 

    • does not cover nonessential services (e.g., dental cleaning, acne treatments, check-ups, etc.). 

    Dependents are eligible for coverage at an additional charge. Please provide Risk Management with your enrollment roster at least two weeks before your departure. 

    Print a copy of your ID card and benefits summary and carry it with you when abroad. Use your ID card to access the On Call international website/services abroad when/if necessary.   

    Please contact us with any questions about enrollment.  

  • On Call International provides university travelers, who have submitted the International Travel Registration Form, with emergency security and travel assistance at no cost. If you are preparing to travel on behalf of Rutgers, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with On Call International’s website and services prior to your departure.  

    On Call International can be reached at 1-800-850-4556 for traveler assistance.